The Vacancy Project helps identify and clear abandoned buildings in the St. Louis metropolitan area where crimes often happen.
Several studies have shown a strong link between vacant properties and crime. One study found that demolishing a single vacant building reduced crime by 7.5% in a block group and 5.1% in nearby block groups per month.
CURRENT NEEDS: Phase 1
Roughly 1,250 condemned, vacant properties make this area the highest priority to reduce crime in St. Louis.Read More
See some of the project’s successful demolitions to date.
More successful demolitions
- Thousands of vacant buildings take heavy toll on St. Louis police, firefighters
- City’s vacant buildings have been magnets for crime over the years
- St. Louis ranked most dangerous city in America
- 2019 homicide total is second-highest of decade for St. Louis
- Police data: violent crime getting deadlier in St. Louis
Support this project by contributing to its demolition fund today.